Saturday, May 19, 2007

Dotty Light: Savoring Life's Beauty

Writer's Notes: Two weeks ago, while walking home from a meeting at the Emerald Art Center, an idea came to mind: To commemorate the organization's 50th anniversary, why not write an article each week for 50 weeks about a member artist? Seemed like a great way to celebrate people who've contributed so much to the cultural life of our community. After thinking about it for a day or two, I wrote an e-mail to Matthew Smith, editor of the Springfield Beacon newspaper, and he responded with "I think it is a wonderful idea". So here we are with the first article.

While thinking about how to go about conducting the artist interviews and photographing their work, I decided to create this new blog about the nearly year-long project ahead of me. The blog allows me to share more photos of each artist's work as well as provide more information about them than what the newspaper has space for each week. And it extends the "visibility" of the artists' stories beyond the newspaper's reach ... beyond the borders of Springfield ... to our neighbor, Eugene, and all of Lane County (where many of the over 200 members and supporters of the Emerald Art Center live) ... not to mention, to blog readers around the world!


Dotty Light - At Home in Her Studio


Because I had heard that Dotty Light was one of the original members of the organization -- the only active charter member "but not the oldest" she later reminded me -- I wanted to interview Dotty first. I called and arranged an appointment with her and drove to her home a day later (after seeing Dotty and her husband, Frank, the night before at the gala 50th Anniversary Celebration at the art center).

I was warmly welcomed by Dotty and Frank's daughter, one of their eight grown children who had come for Mother's Day and, as she said, ended up staying for "mother's week". She took me upstairs to Dotty's studio, along the way showing me another room used for framing art and painting storage (Frank does the framing of her art, much to Dotty's delight!).



The studio, converted from a bedroom, was spacious from my perspective -- even including a small couch which we comfortably sat in during the interview. A small desk with an easel holding a "pink roses" painting was at the far side of the room next to the window. Several paintings were propped up on the floor for my selection to photograph. A dormer wall on the way into the room was filled with award ribbons from the many art exhibits Dotty had entered over the years.

Dotty arrived and warmly welcomed me. We decided to sit and talk before doing any photographs. After our interview (see story below), I asked Dotty to stand next to the painting on her easel. Together, we decided to use the "pink roses for someone special" painting as the newspaper photograph. I took several photos of Dotty's art which are included at the end of the newspaper article.

I enjoyed my time with Dotty and hope that the photos I took do justice to the beauty of her work.


Featured in the Springfield Beacon - May 24, 2007

50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield


Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon

Dotty Light
Savoring Life's Beauty


Artist Dotty Light is the only active charter member of the Springfield arts organization which began as the Willamalane Arts League in 1957 and has grown to over 200 members today.

Celebrating its 50th anniversary this month, the Emerald Art Center at 5th and Main has been an important part of Dotty's life in our community. She served on the organization's board for many years, as president for two years, and has held every office except treasurer in her 50 years as a member.

Dotty's love for art, for the beauty she sees in her life, and for the people who've supported her work as an artist are best expressed in her own words:

Inspiring Beginning: "My husband, Frank, encouraged me most. I saw a story in the Springfield paper about a class for artists and said to him that I wished I could go but, with five preschoolers at home in 1957, didn't see how I could. Frank said 'you're going to take that' and got a babysitter. And I went. That was the first of the many classes and workshops I've attended over the past 50 years."

Important Mentors: Sergei Bongart an artist I took a workshop from in Idaho just a year before he died. I have a wonderful book about him. Also, a marvelous local artist, Laura Gubrud ... a quiet lady and extraordinary teacher ... whose workshops I took every month. There were many others ... Joyce Pike, Don Ricks, Delbert Gish, and Bill Reese.

Among the art masters, I love all of the Impressionists, but not everything they do. I like their looseness. They do paintings you can 'walk into' and finish in your own mind almost."

Value of Art in Life: "My art has meant an awful lot to me. At first, I didn't have much time when we were raising young children and I could only paint at night. After the children were gone, we created a studio for me in a bedroom upstairs and another room we use for framing and storage of my paintings. With my art, I can relax and not think about things I need to do tomorrow. But there is a different kind of tension ... more relaxed ... when I'm painting. I also do lots of reading of art books. I love my books and never tire of reading about artists and their art."

Her Artist's Legacy: "I would just like people to enjoy my art . . . to continue to stop and see what I experienced while doing a painting . . . when I'm gone. Everybody needs the aesthetic . . . to experience beauty in their life, no matter what work they do. We need a cultural idea here in Springfield. The Emerald Arts Center offers so much for children that no longer is available in their schools. For me, it has been a wonderful part of my life and learning as an artist."

For more information about Dotty Light and to see additional photos of her art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.


Pink Roses for Someone Special by Dotty Light

___________________________________________________

About The Artist


Birthplace: Garnett, Kansas

Arts Education: Workshops & Classes from Outstanding Artists

Media of Choice: Acrylics, oils, watercolors, pastels

Favorite Place to Do Art: In her studio at home

Favorite Subjects to Paint: Flowers and Landscapes

Favorite Award: One-woman show at Huntington Beach Library & Cultural Center

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association (Emerald Arts Center) for 50 years; Pastel Society of Oregon.

Website: www.emeraldartcenter.org
_______________________________________________________________________

# # #

More photos by Todd Peterson of Dotty Light's paintings (all art images are copyright by the artist):

Symphony in Greens by Dotty Light



The Pot and The Potter by Dotty Light




Almost Winter by Dotty Light


Thank you, Dotty, for sharing your work and your time with me ... and for all that you've contributed to the growth and success of the Emerald Art Center!