Thursday, August 16, 2007

Christine Gherardi: Creating images that arise from her intuition

Writer's Notes: I met Christine Gherardi a few month's ago when she was doing gallery guiding at the art center. Both Christine and her son, Peter, are members so I decided to interview them both for the "50 Artists" series.

Last week when I interviewed Bruce Mitchell at his "drop-in clinic" at the art center, Christine was there working on a drawing. She said she had been coming to the weekly clinic for nearly three years and had found Bruce's guidance very helpful.

When I went to Christine and Peter's home, I interviewed both of them and took photos of Christine's work. Next week I will feature Peter's work when I receive the computer graphic images being sent to me.

Of all the artist's I've interviewed so far, Christine was the first to describe her art as "intuitive" -- coming to her as if she is guided to the image. One person at the art center told her that it looked like she was "channeling" the images that she drew.

Christine's work definitely evokes emotion. You can tell she (quietly) feels strongly about whatever image she is creating.

Christine hopes that her work will touch people emotionally and move them to make positive changes in their lives. Her intuitive process is a powerful guide for her art and her life.

More images of Christine Gherardi's art follow the newspaper story.

(Note that clicking on the photos anywhere on "this blog will enlarge the art image for better viewing).

____________________________________________________________

Featured in the Springfield Beacon (August 22, 2007)


50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield

Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon

Christine Gherardi
Creating images that arise from her intuition

For Christine Gherardi, creating art is a very intuitive process. It starts with a feeling. Then an image comes to her and she begins drawing.

Christine has been drawing most of her life. In college, she started a fine arts program but was talked out of it ("no money in being an artist") and went on to get a degree in sociology. Looking back, she feels she would have done better in the work world with a fine arts degree.

Christine has done award-winning images in pencil. But, for the past two years she has focused on watercolors. Bruce Mitchell's weekly "drop-in clinics" at the Emerald Art Center have been a great help to her and she paints there most every week.

Christine is especially proud of her son, Peter, who is studying at LCC and creating art himself (on computer and film). Together, they are members of the art center and enjoy many of the same artists.

Seeing Christine Gherardi's intuitive art images will open your heart and mind to the inner world of an artist. And they may touch you emotionally and awaken you to new ways of seeing the outer world.

In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I'm not sure when but know I started drawing in grammar school. In 5th grade I remember drawing a map of South America and then drew animals in each country. It took so long I didn't complete it in time so I got a 'B' instead the 'A' the teacher said he would have given me if I would have finished it on-time."

Important Mentors: "In college, Shane Falahi was a wonderful instructor. Here at the art center, Bruce Mitchell has been my mentor. Also, Jo Dunnick mentored me in her class, "Fun with Paint". There are many Emerald artists whose work I admire -- Don Burgess, Mel Vincent, Donna Schimmels, Carol Fourtner -- to name just a few." Among the masters, I like Van Gogh, DaVinci, and Michelangelo. And I love the work of Salvador Dali."

Value of Art in Life: "My art gives me a chance to express myself and show people who I am ... to show my heart.

Her Artist's Legacy: "I hope my art will positively change people ... to move them to look at themselves and make changes for the better in their lives."

For more information about Christine Gherardi and to see additional images of her art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.

"Anglo & Asian Brothers" by Christine Gherardi

_________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Torrance, California

Arts Education: Community College of Southern Nevada - North Las Vegas (fine arts)

Media of Choice: Pencil, pen & ink, watercolors

Favorite Place to Do Art: At the art center's classroom

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Whatever images arise from her intuition

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association

Awards: 1st Place in Division - Mayors Art Show (2005)
__________________________________________________________________

# # #

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.


"Victorian Peace" by Christine Gherardi


"Tom's Story Pot/Christine's Story Pot" by Christine Gherardi



"Lady of Dreams" by Christine Gherardi