Friday, May 30, 2008

Don "Andy" Anderson

Exploring the World and the Arts in Springfield

By Todd Peterson
For "50 Artists" Series

Andy Anderson had many adventures as he explored the world while working In in the aviation industry. When he retired, he moved to Oregon to explore our green river valleys and sandy ocean beaches. And begin experimenting with different styles of painting.

Andy joined the Emerald Art Center and started taking classes from local artists. He learned watercolor composition skills from Ellen Gabehart and Lois Edman. Richard Quigley taught him pencil design drawing and Craig Lasha enhanced his acrylic painting skills. From Bruce Mitchell, Andy received advice on color elements and contrasts for use in drawing animals.

"Photography was my first love of art," says Andy. "It all started with my mother's B&W 120 box camera. I progressed to Brownie 620, color prints, 35mm slides, and now digital photography. My old Kodak cameras are still with me. I have a collection of about 40 cameras."

Andy contributes his photo skills to the Emerald Art Center's many events and classes. "I've really enjoyed photographing the children who've participated in the Family Art Sunday series over the past two years," he says. "I've put together several photo albums of these events for the art center library where they can be viewed my members and visitors."

Painting acrylic fish images on river rocks is another art form Andy enjoys. He offers them for sale in the gift shop at the art center.

Andy continues to dabble in various art mediums, most recently in Japanese and Chinese watercolor brush art. He's now pursuing artistic composition using the colors of soft pastels.

As an active volunteer at the Emerald Art Center and a member of the Springfield Arts Commission, Andy Anderson serves our art community while having fun creating his own artistic vision of the world.

In his own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I began painting when I discovered the limitations of photography. Taking photos has always been my hobby. Most excellent photos are happy accidents. All elements -- subject, light, and shadows -- must be aligned at the very instant you press the shutter. When doing a painting, you have time and opportunity to arrange the subject, light, and shadows to suit the image you want."

Important Mentors: "There are many Emerald Art Center artists I admire -- Don Burgess for his fine drawings of old cars, Mel Vincent for his 'Country Store' series, Donna Shimmels for her precise calligraphy, and Kathy Williams for her authentic Chinese brush art work. Instructor Bruce Mitchell has helped me with my drawings; Ellen Gabehart has sharpened my watercolors; and Dan Chen provided insights for my Asian brush art."

Value of Art in Life: "Painting allows a person to express his inner vision of a scene."

His Artist's Legacy: "I hope people viewing my paintings enjoy the images I created and know I had fun doing them."




"Autumn Tree" by Andy Anderson

__________________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Albert Lea, Minnesota

Arts Education: Self-taught with many lessons from local art instructors

Favorite Place to Do Art: In his home studio and the art center classroom

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Animals, fish, airplanes, seascapes

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association; Springfield Arts Commission; Eugene DIVA

Awards: Springfield Mayor's Art Show (2005 & 2006)

__________________________________________________________________________

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.




"Road to Jerusalem" by Andy Anderson



"Sailing Sailing" by Andy Anderson



"Fish Buddies" by Andy Anderson