Thursday, August 2, 2007

Elsie Sharp: Painting to create beauty and joy for her loved ones

Writer's Notes: I didn't head east on Main this week but, once again, drove north on 5th Street to a north Springfield neighborhood that is home to several artists who are members of the Emerald Art Center.

Elsie Sharp invited me in and we walked through her home looking at several of the paintings on the walls that she had done over the past few years. Before taking photos of her paintings, we sat down at the kitchen dining table for our interview. Elsie had already done much of the work for me by writing down the "in her own words" and "about the artist" segments of the article -- common elements of each of the "50 Artists" stories.

We then began taking photos -- first of her studio space where she had a painting in progress. She was working on an eastern seashore scene of a lighthouse. It was one of a 10 painting project she was doing, one each for her two daughters and eight grandchildren. Her loved ones were asked to give her a picture of their choice for her to paint. What a sweet gift she's giving her daughters and grandchildren!

Elsie showed me a technique that she learned at a class from Terry Isaac, using a small open square which you lay on the image you want to paint, then place a second square of the same size on your canvas -- where you do your painting, section by section. I had never seen the technique used, but it sure looked a lot easier (as a non-painter!) than taking on the whole image from the start. Now I wish I would have photographed the whole process -- too late now!

For most of the rest of the photos, we took the paintings off the walls and placed them on the easel for shooting. Others I was able to photograph in place on the walls, depending on the lighting conditions in the rooms. In one of the bedrooms was a winter snowman scene with one of her grandsons that Elsie had done.

A new painting was ready to be framed for sending to a relative who has a mischievous bear in his backyard in Colorado. Seems to enjoy a daily mouthful (or sixteen mouths-full) of sunflower seeds from a bird feeder in their backyard. I've included a larger version of the bear "at lunch" following the newspaper story.

As I walked passed the refrigerator on the way to leave, I noticed a photo of a young woman holding up a beautiful painting of purple daffodils. Elsie said it was her grandchild (now in college) who had taken a class with her taught by Elsie's sister, Shirley Reade. Artistic talent definitely resides in her family! Elsie said she had encouraged her granddaughter to keep painting ... and she promised that she would.

May the world be blessed with many more artists in Elsie Sharp's family!
Thank you, Elsie, for sharing your art journey with me.

More images of Elsie Sharp's art follow the newspaper story.

(Note that clicking on the photos anywhere on this blog will enlarge the art image for better viewing).

___________________________________________________________________

NOTE: I had less success with photographing paintings this week than in the past. Not as sharp as I would prefer -- and another photo of Elsie's "still life" had too much glare and lack of focus for my use. My attempts to do the photo work handheld may be a little shakey (at least some days)! My apologies to Elsie for my less than professional photos.
___________________________________________________________________


Featured in the Springfield Beacon (August 8, 2007)


50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield

Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon
Elsie Sharp
Painting to create beauty and joy for her loved ones

Elsie Sharp began painting seven years ago, encouraged by her sister, local artist Shirley Reade. She joined the weekly art class that Shirley teaches and has been painting ever since.

Elsie loves to work with different colors and learn new ways to use them in her detailed paintings. She sees the world in a different way since she began painting with acrylics. Now she always has her camera with her to capture beautiful scenes to use in future paintings.

Along with her sister, Elsie is co-chairing the Springfield Mayor's Art Show this year. The annual show opening October 5th is celebrating its 15th anniversary as a community event of the Emerald Art Center.

Elsie's children and grandchildren have inspired her to begin a wonderful new project. She is in the process of painting a picture (subject of their choice) for her two daughters and each of her eight grandchildren. Currently on her easel is a one of these paintings -- a lighthouse on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean with bright white buildings along side it with their roofs in a brilliant shade of red.

Elsie Sharp is an artist deeply devoted to her family who shows her love and caring in the beauty of paintings she creates especially for her loved ones. In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I have always been involved in arts and crafts in some way. I would say my mother, who encouraged us to create beautiful things, and my sister (a very talented artist and art teacher) who convinced me that I could become an artist."

Important Mentors: "My sister, Shirley Reade, is my mentor. I joined her painting class in 2000 and have been painting at that class almost every Tuesday afternoon for the past seven years. I have also taken classes at the Emerald Art Center from Terry Isaac (who inspires everyone he teaches) and from Robert Warren."

Value of Art in Life: "Art has been a part of my life since the first painting class I attended. I love the challenge of creating something that people might enjoy. When a painting turns out as I have envisioned it, I am inspired to begin the next one."

Her Artist's Legacy: "I would like people to enjoy my paintings, especially my children and grandchildren. I hope they will look at my paintings and smile, remembering the love that went into every brush stroke."

For more information about Elsie Sharp and to see additional images of her art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.

"Floral" by Elsie Sharp




"Chickadees in the Apple Tree"
by Elsie Sharp




__________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Portland, Oregon

Arts Education: Painting classes with mentors.

Media of Choice: Acrylic

Favorite Place to Do Art: At home and painting class.

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Whatever I see that interests me.

Arts Organizations: Emerald Art Center

________________________________________________________________

# # #

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.

"Mischief" by Elsie Sharp



"Still Life" by Elsie Sharp



"Winter Waterfall" by Elsie Sharp