Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kay King

Weaver of Watercolors

By Todd Peterson
For "50 Artists" Series

Kay King creates colorful abstracts by weaving watercolor paintings together. The resulting "woven watercolors" are a unique combination that surprises and delights viewers of her art.

Kay's watercolor paintings were inspired by a weaving she once saw. Always a lover of combining things, she decided to take two watercolors with a similar palette, cut them into strips, and weave them together to create a new abstract painting. The contrast of the soft watercolors with the hard edge of weaving is striking.

"I learned creativity from teaching," says Kay. She taught science and language arts in both elementary and middle schools for many years in Eugene. Before that, Kay ran a day care center while her children were young. She retired ten years ago and has enjoyed time for traveling, gardening, and illustrating childrens' books. Among the books Kay illustrated with colored pencil art are "Anna Goes Blackberry Picking", "Benji", "Doggy & Kitty Parade", and "The Cabbage, the Wolf, and the Goat."

Having recently joined the Emerald Art Center and displayed her work in the gallery in February, Kay describes herself as an "old artist, newly out." Her abstract acrylic paintings and woven watercolors sold briskly at the show's opening.

With a laugh and smile, Kay King says, "I create abstracts because I'm petrified of being trite!" Without a doubt, the direction she has taken with her art has moved Kay's artistic creations far away from "trite" and much closer to her heart's "awakened" muse.

In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I remember always looking closely at things when I was a kid. That way of 'looking' continues to get me started. And I like combining things. That's what inspired my woven watercolors."

Important Mentors: "Marji DeBuse mentored me on the subject of creativity. She teaches a creative problem-solving class at the U. of O. Among the masters, I appreciate Miro, Klee, and Picasso. I also love the work of Andrew Wyeth."

Value of Art in Her Life: "It's a focus for me ... a context in which I live. Creating art makes me 'be awake'. For people who see my art, I hope they see something they haven't seen before ... something that surprises them!"

Her Artist's Legacy: "My legacy lives in the many kids I have taught over the years ... in their sense of awe as they look at our incredible world. And especially in the art of my two sons who are both very creative."

For more information about Kay King and other artists interviewed for this series, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.

To display a larger image of the art on your computer, please click on the photo.




"Particle Wave" by Kay King

_________________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Uniontown, Pennsylvania

Arts Education: Seton Hill University (B.A - Fine Arts)

Media of Choice: No preference (use watercolors, acrylics, colored pencils)

Favorite Place to Do Art: In her home studio

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Abstracts

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association (Education Committee)

Gallery Shows: Emerald Art Center (February 2008)
_________________________________________________________________________


All art images and photos of the art on in this story are copyright by the artist.



"Before Time" by Kay King



"Icarus Path" by Kay King



"Aloft" by Kay King