Thursday, July 12, 2007

Jim Nylund: Painting Nature With the Realism of a Photograph

Writer's Notes: As I headed east from downtown to the "last stoplight in Springfield", I was feeling thankful that the forecast 90+ degree day had not materialized. Yesterday's heat had reminded me too much of summers in the midwest (without the overgrown mosquitoes of my Minnesota youth!).

Jim Nylund's front porch was surrounded on two sides by roses in full bloom -- reds, pinks, and yellows as I recall. I was tempted to get my camera out and start taking pictures. Jim invited me in and we sat down at his dining table to talk about his art. On the wall beside us was a large "modern" painting which Jim told me he had purchased even though he generally wasn't attracted to modern art. The piece brought to my mind a raging storm in the desert with its dark wash of black flowing wildly through browns and reds.


On the living room walls were several of Jim's paintings -- both oils and watercolors of nature scenes (see images following the article). He told me stories about the places where he had composed the paintings -- in the Oregon desert and in Alaska. I asked him about the "Cross Mountain" painting he was currently showing at the art center. I was doubtful that such a place existed. It does. In Alaska where Jim had lived for seven years. He had taken dozens of photos of the mountain to use in composing his painting.

After our discussion, we headed upstairs where Jim has his studio. We first went into a room with an easel holding a new painting Jim was working on. I took pictures of the painting as well as attempted to photograph another framed painting covered with glass -- my nemesis in taking photos for this "50 Artists" project. No success .. too much glare ... and I couldn't get the flash to turn off on my new camera! I recommended to Jim (as I do to all artists) to take digital photos of your art before framing under glass.

We went into Jim's studio where he had a series of six paintings he was working on of a coast guard cutter breaking through a large wave (with difficulty!). The series was inspired by photos Jim had seen in an Oregon Coast magazine.


On the table beside the works in progress was another painting of a large wave that Jim had painted years ago. Next to it was a Bev Doolittle calendar -- an artist that Jim admires for her realistic portrayal of nature scenes and wildlife. Both of us wished we would have had the foresight to purchase Bev's originals before her price range grew far out of sight -- well-deserved for sure!


After shooting more pictures of Jim's paintings (see below) and promising him that I would give my best effort in attempting to shoot "Cross Mountain" (under glass at the art center) the next day, it was time to leave.

I look forward to seeing more of Jim's photorealistic paintings of nature in member shows at the Emerald Art Center.

More photos of Jim Nylund's paintings follow the newspaper story.

Featured in the Springfield Beacon (July 18, 2007)

50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield
Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon

Jim Nylund
Painting nature with the realism of a photograph

Jim Nylund began his work as an artist in grade school doing cartoon drawings of Disney characters. Since then, his art expanded to include a wide variety of media and subject matter. Today, Jim's watercolors and oil paintings reflect his love for the beauty of nature.

Jim seeks to portrait what he sees in nature as realistically as he can. While currently painting primarily with watercolors (and some oils), over the years he has worked in many areas of art -- photography, printmaking, air brushing, engraving, etching, and making fine French and Japanese handmade papers.

Having spent most of his life in the Northwest, including seven years in Alaska, most of Jim's paintings are of landscapes and wildlife from places that have been important to him. Instead of doing his art in the field outdoors, Jim takes photographs of landscapes from many angles and at various times of day for use in composing his paintings.

Jim Nylund sees with the eyes of a photographer -- capturing an image of nature's beauty -- which he turns into paintings with as much realism as he can. In his own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "Early in grade school, a teacher encouraged me to draw and I began doing Disney cartoon characters. Seeing cartoons at the movies made me think, if they can do that, I can do that. Years later when I met a cartoonist from Disney and he showed me the thousands of drawings required to make the characters move, I decided cartooning wasn't for me. I took three years of art and photography at Springfield High School and have continued to do art ever since."

Important Mentors: "My first mentors were the cartoonists. When I was taking classes at LCC, Joyce Comer, opened me up to doing watercolors after I had mainly done oil paintings. Among the old masters, Rembrandt and Michelangelo come to mind. Today, Bev Doolittle's work -- her paintings of wildlife and landscapes of the West -- inspire me most.

Value of Art in Life: "My art gives me peace of mind and a sense of well-being. I feel like I'm copying God's creation -- the beauty of nature -- with my art."

His Artist's Legacy: "I hope that whoever looks at my work appreciates it. Mostly though, my legacy will be a portfolio of original prints left for members of my family."

For more information about Jim Nylund and to see additional images of his art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.


"Cross Mountain" by Jim Nylund


_______________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Isanti, Minnesota

Arts Education: Eastern Oregon University (LaGrande), Lane Community College, Chemeketa & Tillimook Bay Community Colleges.

Media of Choice: Watercolors and oil painting

Favorite Place to Do Art: Wherever I can sit down and not be bothered.

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Nature and wildlife

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association

Currently Showing: "Cross Mountain" at Emerald Art Center (until end of July)

______________________________________________________________________

# # #

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.


"Oregon or Bust" by Jim Nylund


"Storms a' brewing" by Jim Nylund


"Surfs Up" by Jim Nylund