Monday, December 1, 2008

Bonnie Smith

Painting to Express Her Spirit

Throughout her life, Bonnie Smith has been an avid student of art. Since her retirement in 1989, she has been actively painting with oils, pastels, watercolors, and other media.

Bonnie's paintings are inspired by the color, form, value, light and shadow around her. She says that when she paints "something inside me has to get out." Her work includes landscapes, florals, still life, wildlife, and portraits.

Bonnie says that "in one sense, recreating the beauty of the natural world is about as close to divine creation as one can get. Art expands insight and reverence for life. If I can engage the viewer to feel the same reverence, then I have succeeded.”

Active for many years with the Emerald Art Center, Bonnie has served as a member and secretary of the Board. She regularly exhibits her work in the art center's member shows and at the Lane County Fair. Over the years, her art has garnered many ribbons and awards. Her work has been exhibited at Design Consortium in Ohio, White Dove Gallery in Washington; Treasures Gallery and Black Bear Gallery in California, and Maude Kerns in Eugene.

Along with her painting, Bonnie is also a writer with a ready-for-publication book of creative non-fiction about life in Mississippi in the 1930's. She is currently seeking an agent for her book and hopes to have it published next year.

In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I started drawing when I was six years old and wanted to be a painter and writer for as long as I can remember. The countryside and landscapes around Holly Springs inspired me. When I was 20, living in Philadelphia with me husband, an Italian friend of ours who heard me complain about not having paints and showed up one day with a box of paints. That day I did my first real painting, which was awful."

Important Mentors: "Most all of the artists I've taken classes with have inspired me. The old Dutch Masters are my favorites, especially Vermeer, as well as the Spanish painter, Goya. I've studied with Glenn Decker, Jane Hofstetter, Judy Betts and Rusty Stetcher (among others) but one of the first and best art class I took was with Laura Gubrud at EEAA.

Value of Art in Her Life: "I don't know what I would have done in retirement if not for painting and writing. Both have kept me active, interested, and involved."

Her Artist's Legacy: "Society will know that I tried."

For more information about Bonnie and to see additional images of her art, visit her website www.bonniesmithart.com and the Emerald Art Center website: www.emeraldartcenter.org


To display a larger image of the art on your computer, please click on the photo.



"Late Harvest" by Bonnie Smith

____________________________________________________________________________

About The Artist


Birthplace: Senetobia, Mississippi

Arts Education: Many classes and workshops from local and visiting artists

Media of Choice: Oils and pastels, depending on the subject matter

Favorite Place to Do Art: In my studio at home

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Whatever inspires me at the time

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association

Gallery Shows: Paintings in member shows at the Emerald Art Center


__________________________________________________________________________


All art images and photographs of the art are copyright by the artist.



"Wanda" By Bonnie Smith



"Mirror Image" by Bonnie Smith



"Blue Vase" by Bonnie Smith



###