Thursday, July 19, 2007

Deanne Tiffany: Painting what she loves with clarity and cheerfulness

Writer's Notes: I had forgotten that east Springfield had some significant hills as I turned off Main Street towards Deanne Tiffany's home eight blocks up the hill. When I got out of my car in her driveway, I looked north to a great view of the Coburg Hills.

Deanne welcomed me in and we decided to do our interview at her dining room table. I had noticed some wood carvings of little birds on the way to the dining room and she told me she had begun carving last year at a Dick Jones workshop at Willamalane. The carvings of wrens are amazingly realistic as are the puffin and rabbit she carved.

In our interview, Deanne told me about her inspiration to become an artist in second grade (see newspaper story) and about being ridiculed by a 5th grade teacher for a drawing she made (of him) that sadly put an end to her art work for many years. In 1965, her mother-in-law invited her to go to an oil painting workshop and she's been doing oils ever since. In her living room are several of her paintings including one she calls "The Teachers" (which includes her grandmother) as well as paintings of two horses. I took a picture of "Clyde" which Deanne has on her business card.

We went upstairs to Deanne's studio which she has organized into three areas -- so she can have an oil painting, watercolor, and wood carving in process all the time. She also showed me her first oil painting from the 1965 workshop -- a kitten with flowers on a black background -- which I photographed but promised not to include here.

I asked Deanne to show me how she works (with her watercolor of a barn in process). She had taken photos of a barn she liked and had decided to paint it. We also looked at the oil painting she was working on of a scene along the Willamette River and the small carving of a horses head that she doing to get the feel for carving the much larger horse she was working on. She showed me a large drawing of the merry-go-round pony she is carving. For someone who just started carving last year, Deanne is certainly accomplished and willingly to take on big projects!

After taking more photos, Deanne invited me to have coffee and muffins with her and her husband (who had gone to high school in a Minnesota town I had visited to march in a parade about 45 years ago!). We talked about their decision to move to Springfield and how quickly the home buying and moving had gone for them. Deanne shared that several of her paintings are hanging at the Siuslaw Bank in downtown Springfield which I decided to photograph later in the day.

As the time came to end my visit, I felt well-nourished from seeing Deanne's art (as well as from eating a blueberry muffin!).

More images of Deanne Tiffany's art follow the newspaper article.

(Note that clicking on the photos anywhere on this blog will enlarge the art image for better viewing).



Featured in the Springfield Beacon (July 25, 2007)


50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield
Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon

Deanne Tiffany
Painting what she loves with clarity and cheerfulness

Since moving to Springfield a year and a half ago, Deanne Tiffany has become an active member of our arts community while enjoying painting outdoor scenes of her new home state of Oregon.

Deanne always has both oil and watercolor paintings in process in her studio. And she recently added wood carving to her artist's repertoire. Her current subjects include a carving a horse (half the size of a merry-go-round pony), a watercolor of a barn, and an oil painting of a Willamette River scene.

Deanne started her work as an artist in 1965 with an oil painting workshop. She focused on oils for over 20 years before taking a watercolor class. Since then, she has continued with both media while also doing wood carving which she learned last year at a workshop at Willamalane Adult Activity Center.

Deanne joined the Emerald Art Center soon after moving here and serves on two committees. She also joined the McKenzie Woodcarvers and serves as vice president of the organization.

Seeing Deanne Tiffany's paintings and wood carvings will bring a smile to your face as they cheerfully invite you in and welcome you to the world of the artist who created them. In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "In second grade, I went with a friend to visit an elderly lady who had many oil paintings on her walls. I saw a big painting on her easel of flowers in a garden with some doves. Right then, I just knew I'd be a painter."

Important Mentors: "After doing oils for years, I studied watercolors with John Yato in San Diego. I like Frederick Remington's work even though it's not my style. I also enjoy Norman Rockwell for the way he captured Americana. Among the old masters, Rembrandt, Cezanne, and Monet are favorites."

Value of Art in Life: "I'm never bored and always have something that's going to be painted. I'm able to see life with an awareness of all aspects and capture life's details in my paintings. For me, it's the process of painting that I love."

Her Artist's Legacy: "I'd like it to be: She did what she loved! I've been fortunate to be able to paint for so many years and to paint only what I want to at this stage of my life."

For more information about Deanne Tiffany and to see additional images of her art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.




"Orchids" by Deanne Tiffany


____________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Pasadena, California

Arts Education: Many workshops with artists over the past 47 years

Media of Choice: Her subject matter determines the media used

Favorite Place to Do Art: At home in her studio (but will paint anywhere)

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Outdoor scenes, flowers, people, horses, birds

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association, McKenzie Woodcarvers

Currently Showing: Several paintings at Siuslaw Bank (7th & Main); "Little Lady" at Emerald Art Center

____________________________________________________________________
# # #

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.

"Size 1" by Deanne Tiffany


"Hydrangea" by Deanne Tiffany


"Oh Baby" by Deanne Tiffany