Sunday, June 10, 2007

Marilyn Stauber: Mastering Details in Beautiful Realism


Writer's Notes: When I stepped up to the front door of Marilyn Stauber's home, I heard a piano being played and saw Marilyn through the window at the keyboard. I later learned that she was practicing for a duet (playing "Malaguena") with her piano partner. What a delight it was to step inside and see all of the beautiful paintings on the walls, sculpture on table tops, and porcelain dolls in mirrored cabinets. And a view to a wonderful garden in the back yard with flowers in full bloom surrounding meandering paths and a center fountain.

Marilyn walked me through her home, pointing out and describing various art pieces as I took pictures along the way. We took a couple of her original porcelain dolls out of their cabinets and took pictures of them on the dining room table. Then we moved on into her studio where she had a painting in progress. In another room where she had her sewing machine, Marilyn showed me her extensive library of books on art and costuming. Before going outside to the garden, I took photo of a new painting on porcelain (of Princess Diana) that she had recently completed (my photo here doesn't do the piece justice).

The light rain had stopped (I had driven in a hailstorm to Marilyn's home) so we went out to the garden which fills the backyard. All the pinks, blues. purples, whites, and reds of the roses and other perennials were lovely with their petals and leaves covered with droplets of new-fallen rain. I was tempted to take lots of garden photos but nothing in my viewfinder captured the beauty of the full experience. Marilyn pointed out her raspberries and grapevines in the back of the garden as well as a row of clematis plants lining a path (and covering it in a few places) along the whole east side of the house.

Back inside for our interview, we had an upbeat conversation about art and the "paths" our lives have taken. I also met Marilyn's husband, Leo, who had generously taken time to make me a CD with photos of many of her paintings. Leo also showed me the greeting cards and business cards he had made for Marilyn's art show opening at Willamalane the next day (which I went to with my artist partner, Anita, and had a very enjoyable evening of art and conversation).

What a blessing it was to be in the presence of people who have such a great love of art and willingness to share their creations with me and our community!

More of Marilyn Stauber's paintings follow the newspaper article.

Featured in the Springfield Beacon (June 14, 2007)


50 Artists: 50 Years of Art in Springfield

Celebrating arts and culture in our community

By Todd Peterson
For The Beacon

Marilyn Stauber
Mastering Details in Beautiful Realism

Artist Marilyn Stauber describes herself as an "up" person who has an upbeat view of life. Her art clearly reflects her joyful spirit. She is comfortable to be around and so are her paintings.

A visit to Marilyn's home where she has her studio is a visual feast. Her many paintings and "soft graphics" cover the walls, bronze sculptures sit on table tops, and her porcelain dolls stand in mirrored cabinets. Fresh flowers grace the dining room table. And the view to the lush gardens in her backyard is breathtaking with all of its blossoming roses and flowering perennials.

For the past nine years, Marilyn has painted in most mediums -- oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, and with china paints. Among the many subjects of her work are florals, ballet dancers, children, fruit, and gardens. Her love for rich, exciting colors is "alive" in the realism of her art.

Before becoming a painter, Marilyn created original porcelain dolls for 15 years -- many of which were award-winners at Doll Conferences. Her first artistic creations (after leaving her job as a land use planner) were pieced textile wall hangings.

Marilyn serves as Class Coordinator for the Emerald Art Center and is a member of its Board of Directors. When she's not painting or at the center, you'll find her playing piano (including duets), gardening, working out, and enjoying time with her family.


As a self-described "detail person", Marilyn decided years ago to be true to herself in the art she creates and in the way she lives her life. In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "I can't remember not wanting to paint. In first grade, I recall my teacher having me take a picture I had done to the principal's office."

Important Mentors: "In college, Andrew Vincent taught me a lot -- especially about rich colors. In my LCC classes, I was particularly influenced -- and challenged -- by Adam Grosowsky. I also learned watercolors from Satoko. A marvelous sculptor, Ellen Tykeson, and Bill Blix helped me with the bronze sculptures I made."

Value of Art in Life: "My art is something I do because I just have to do it. I love the challenge, the problem-solving, and the 'high' that comes when something turns out great."

Her Artist's Legacy: "I'd like people who see my paintings to feel comfortable around them ... and to feel good when they look at them. I'd also like my work to be admired by artists whose work I admire ... and to be viewed as a good painter."

For more information about Marilyn Stauber and to see additional photos of her art, visit the blog: www.emeraldartcenter.blogspot.com and the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.

"Peonies" by Marilyn Stauber

______________________________________________________________________

About The Artist


Birthplace: Garabaldi, Oregon

Arts Education: University of Oregon (Interior Design), LCC art classes, and many workshops

Media of Choice: Paints in most mediums

Favorite Place to Do Art: At home in her studio

Favorite Subjects to Paint: Whatever she is working on at the time

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association (Emerald Arts Center)

Her Current Art Show: At Willamalane Adult Activity Center (through July 26th)
______________________________________________________________________
# # #

All art images and photos of the art are copyright of the artist.


"Rhodies in Decanter" by Marilyn Stauber


"Fairy Garden" by Marilyn Stauber


"Fruit Bowl" by Marilyn Stauber