Monday, April 7, 2008

Judith Mason-Macomber

Painting Nature's Beauty to Move Us to Action

By Todd Peterson
For "50 Artists" Series


Judith Mason-Macomber sees beauty in the world and brings that beauty to life in her paintings. She enjoys painting the landscapes she sees from highways on her travels as well as pathways in natural settings locally.

Judith's first work of art was created on a bed sheet in her Evanston, Illinois home, much to her mother's surprise. She used crayons to make a design of fish around the edge of the sheet which she turned into a dirndl skirt.

With lots of encouragement from her teachers in grade school and high school, Judith continued her interest in the arts. She went to theater school at Northwestern University, then moved on to the Illinois Institute of Design where she majored in photography. Judith also studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and was active with the North Shore Art League. She worked as a free-lance photographer and later, after becoming the mother of three daughters, in the advertising field for 18 years.

In 1996, Judith moved to Oregon and began painting landscapes of Oregon with acrylics while also working in other media including pastels, fiber, oils, and watercolor. She immediately joined the Emerald Empire Art Association and soon became co-director and later interim director of the Emerald Art Center. Today, she is secretary of the Board. Judith also served for nine years on the Springfield Arts Commission and was chair for the past several years.

At the age of 75, Judith Mason-Macomber is actively involved and committed to the arts in Springfield. She says "everyone who sees my paintings creates their own meanings." Seeing the patterns and colors in Judith's painting brings the beauty of the world to life for every viewer to experience.

In her own words:

Inspiration To Begin: "My aunt, Alice Kolb Mason, inspired me to begin painting. She painted portraits and flowers with oils. She also did etchings and lithography. I remember Aunt Alice taking me to the Art Institute of Chicago to see an exhibit of Renaissance art during World War II. I discovered Vermeer and loved his painting called, "Allegory of the Painting." I recall the black slits on the back of the painter's shirt, the black and white checkerboard floor, and the woman he was painting."

Important Mentors: "After my Aunt Alice, my grade school teacher, Mr. Scheffler, was very encouraging as were my high school teachers in Evanston. While in design school, Aaron Siskind, Harry Callahan, and later, Harry Bouris influenced me. Artists whose work I admire are Wolf Kahn, Richard Deibenkorn, and the figurative artists working in San Francisco in the 1960's."

Value of Art in Life: "If I'm not making art, I get grumpy and cross! Ideas just come to me. I never plan a painting. I just see it and make a sketch, then paint it. I'd like people who see my paintings to experience the beauty ... the colors ... the life I saw when I was creating the painting."

Her Artist's Legacy: "I hope that my art shows people the extraordinary beauty of the world and how important it is to take action to save it. I want to move people to save the world!"

For more information about Judith Mason-Macomber and to see additional images of her art, visit the art center's website: www.emeraldartcenter.org.

To display a larger image of the art on your computer, please click on the photo.



"Bryce With Pink Sky"

__________________________________________________________________________

About The Artist

Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois

Arts Education: Illinois Institute of Design (Photography Major)

Media of Choice: Acrylics and pastels

Favorite Place to Do Art:
In her home studio

Favorite Subjects To Paint: Landscapes (highways, pathways) and animals

Arts Organizations: Emerald Empire Arts Association (Board Secretary); New Zone Artist Collective (Board Secretary)

Gallery Shows: Emerald Art Center (March/April 2008); New Zone Gallery (Eugene)

__________________________________________________________________________

All art images and photographs of the art are copyright by the artist.



"Canoe Canal - Alton Baker Park"




"Back in the Rain"





"De Chelly Overlook"